A forever favorite food of mine from vegetarian to vegan, has always been falafel…
But after consuming them far too often as ‘cheat’ food due to their fried nature, I figured it was time to consume these delectable little bites, without the guilt.
And after a fair few test batches, I’m happy to report that I’ve got something super easy AND tasty to share with you.
Say hello to my Baked Falafel Bites!
Eat them as they are, as an appetizer with tahini dressing, or serve over rice, or baked cauliflower with hummus and pickled veggies for an easy weeknight dinner.
What You Need:
- Oil for coating pan
- 1 flaxseed egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 can chickpeas (19oz)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp minced garlic (approx. 2 cloves)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt + more to taste
- 2 cup fresh cilantro (trimmed, washed, and dried)
- Spray oil for coating muffins
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Generously coat muffin tins with oil and set aside.
- Make flax egg by placing 1 tbsp flaxseed meal & 3 tbsp water in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes until the texture becomes jelly like.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, combine the chickpeas, flour, baking powder, garlic and onion and blend until a very course texture is made. Add the cumin, salt, cilantro and flax egg blend again.
- Scoop batter into greased muffin tins. Generously spray the tops of the muffins with oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes in pan.
- Serve immediately or let cool completely then refrigerate or freeze.