As a self professed carbolic, I am clearly also a big fan of pasta.
I discovered my love of gnocchi a few years back, while visiting Italy. Since most restaurants were serving up fresh pasta, which contains egg, it was inopportune for a vegan girl like me… However, I found my saving grace in potato gnocchi, which is traditionally (though not always) made without egg.
This dish here is my ode to gnocchi.
It is creamy, light, fresh & easy. Making it a perfect weeknight meal, or an easy throw together for your next dinner party.
This recipe serves 2-3 but can easily be doubled (or tripled) for larger meals. So scroll on down & get cooking!
What You Need:
- 1 package potato gnocchi (500g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 vegan garlic & herb TMRW sausages (or alternate plant based sausages)
- 1/4 white onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut cream
- Optional sprinkle of vegan parmesan
What To Do:
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and then cook vegan sausages and onions. Sausage should be cooked to brown and onions translucent & tender.
- Add garlic last & cook 1 minute more.
- Remove sausages & slice into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Add wine to skillet and bring to a boil. Cooking until half of the liquid is gone, about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and vegetable broth and then add to skillet. Bring to a boil again and stir frequently, sauce should thicken.
- Add coconut cream and spinach, cooking until spinach is wilted.
- Lastly, throw sausage back in and add gnocchi to pan allowing everything to heat through.
- Voila. Serve up your pasta with vegan parmesan on top, if desired.
Enjoy! Tasting note, this one also pairs wonderfully with a glass of white wine 😉