So I may or may not have developed a love affair for cinnamon rolls early on in life due to the fact that my first job (aside from babysitting) was as a Cinnzeo baker (You know, those decadent cinnamon bun shops we used to find in every mall food court)…
And honestly, is there really anything better than walking into a space that smells of sweet cinnamon-y buns? It truly never gets old for me, and I know I can’t be alone.
Seriously, who doesn’t love a warm, fresh cinnamon roll!?
What I don’t love? The complicated ordeal they can be to bake, and all the waiting around for the dough to rise.
So, I’ve got an easy peasy, yeast free, super simple, ONE BOWL, vegan cinnamon bun recipe for you. No rising here, but I promise they are just as tasty as any other bun you’ve had before!
You can also make these ones refined sugar or even sugar free (if you have access to golden monk fruit sweetener).
Go on, treat yourself and whip up a dozen in mere minutes!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup brown sugar of your choosing – regular | cane or coconut sugar | or golden monk fruit sweetener
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
Icing (Optional, these are also great with vegan butter in lieu)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or plant based margarine (I used earth balance)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon non dairy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Set aside a parchment lined baking dish.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and mix.
- Add melted coconut oil and mix until combined. Will be piece-y and somewhat chunky in texture.
- Add non dairy milk & vanilla extract and mix until all ingredients are combined. You should see a dough-like shape forming.
- Place dough onto a very well floured surface and roll until it forms a ball. Continue to flour the surface as needed.
- Sprinkle flour on the top of the ball of dough and use a rolling pin to roll dough out to roughly a 10×12″ rectangle.
- Sprinkle filling ingredients of brown sugar (or substitute as mentioned above) and then cinnamon over rectangle of dough, leaving about 1/4″ of space as a perimeter around the edge of the dough.
- Carefully roll dough starting with one of the 12″ ends and rolling tightly… Press the edge of the roll into the dough so that it sticks.
- Cut the log, spacing your cuts about 1″ apart. Can wrap dental floss & pull instead of cutting (I like this method as it keeps your rolls round). Should make approximately one dozen rolls.
- Place your cinnamon rolls in parchment paper lined baking dish, relatively close to one another, though they do not need to be touching, they will spread a little.
- Bake at 375F for 28-30 minutes (edges should be lightly browned). Prepare your icing while the rolls are baking.
- Mix your icing ingredients together until smooth.
- When cinnamon rolls are finished, remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before spreading icing over rolls. Eat immediately. If saving, do not ice all rolls but save icing in fridge and top as you eat 😋