While my Dad recently outed my previous love of bacon during his speech at my wedding, I figured it was about time I share my vegan tempeh bacon recipe with the rest of you.
Hey, maybe you too, are desperately in search of a crispy, salty non animal alternative?
Truthfully though, I haven’t eaten red meat since I was five, so I cannot attest to this being ‘bacon’ like in the least, but for me, I find it savoury and delicious enough to eat very (very) regularly, so I thought some of you might enjoy this easy lunch recipe too!
What You Need: For Your Sandwich
- Tempeh bacon (homemade or store-bought)
- Greens or lettuce of your choosing
- 2 pieces toasted whole grain bread
- Vegan mayo
- Beefsteak tomato
- Optional avocado
- Salt & pepper to taste
Note: If using store bought Tempeh bacon skip to “What To Do“, if making Tempeh Bacon, you will need to whisk together the below ingredients in a shallow dish & place thinly sliced regular tempeh into marinade for up to two hours.
What You Need: To Make Your Own Tempeh Bacon
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
What To Do:
- Pan fry on medium your tempeh bacon strips until warm & slightly crispy on each side
- Toast bread & slice tomato.
- Spread vegan mayo on toasted bread, place lettuce or greens of your choice, then top with tempeh & tomato.
- Add optional slices avocado, and sprinkle with salt & pepper if desired. Then top with your second piece of toast. Now devour!
Hope you love this go-to recipe as much as I do!