‘Tis the season!
With the crisp air and the changing of the leaves, fall has arrived. And, like many basic girls before me, my desire for pumpkin spice everything has fully kicked in…
Since the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte is STILL not vegan friendly, I got busy making my own pumpkin magic at home.
And this sweet little vegan, refined sugar free, whole wheat pumpkin loaf is the result!
I’ve honestly been eating it for breakfast, dessert, with my cup of tea, really every which way, and I’m convinced it’s destined to be the loaf of the season.
Now with a premonition like that, I figured I’d be a real witch if I didn’t share it with all of you.
So, see the scoop below on how to make one for yourself.
What You Need:
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or cane sugar (+ 1 tbsp to sprinkle on top)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp water)
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (can sub allspice or cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup hot water
What To Do
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl prepare your flax eggs (mix flaxseed meal & water) and let sit.
- Then in a large bowl, mix melted oil, sugar and maple syrup together. Add flax eggs, and mix some more.
- Stir in pumpkin purée and vanilla, then the salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice. Add in flour, and mix until well combined.
- Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then mix into batter.
- Pour batter into the greased loaf pan & sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar on top for a pretty little crunch.
- Bake for 1 hour. Pierce the loaf with a toothpick & be sure it comes out clean. Leave the loaf to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Slice her up and devour!